Learn More About Blue Gum Reserve Chatswood

Blue Gum Park in Chatswood is a bushland reserve west of the Pacific Highway and north of Fullers Road. Timber harvesting, orchards, market gardens, and small dairies were among the early industries in the district. There are also remnants of the old Chatswood Rifle Range, such as an embankment-built target wall and masonry-walled shooting mounds. The Rifle Range remained operational until June 1955, when it was successfully relocated to Hornsby by the Chatswood West Ward Progress Association in collaboration with neighbouring progress associations.

Blue Gum Park is significant as a contiguous connection between Kuring-Gai Council’s Fullers Park and the NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service’s Lane Cove National Park to the west. This connection creates an important ecological corridor, particularly for highly mobile wildlife, including birds and bats.

Insects, lizards, frogs, Microbats, Grey-headed Flying Fox, Sugar Glider, Brown Antechinus, Long-nosed Bandicoot, and several species of birds benefit from the diversity of plant populations and geological niches. It is home to migratory and native birds, including the Powerful Owl, which has an endangered conservation status in New South Wales.

Features

Blue Gum Reserve is perfect for those who want to get one with nature. While there’s so much to explore at the reserve, here are some amenities you can enjoy:

  • Historical or Cultural Feature
  • BBQ (Make sure to clean as you go)
  • Walking Track
  • Off-leash Area

Exploring Blue Gum Reserve

The Blue Gum Forest is a forest in the Blue Mountains National Park, in New South Wales, Australia, west of Sydney. It is one of Australia’s most well-known bushwalking destinations. The forest is part of the Greater Blue Mountains Region, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Early Australian conservationists became responsible for the forest’s survival.

With an understory of shrubs, the forest is dominated by towering Mountain blue gum (Eucalyptus deanei) trees. The forest is only accessible by foot, with many trails connecting it from various parts of the Grose Valley and neighbouring canyons.

Fire

The majority of the trees are thought to be about 300 years old, and they may have come from a massive bushfire. Regular light to moderate fires encourage eucalyptus growth and prevent rainforest tree invasion, but extreme fires cause forest destruction.

Bushfires have ravaged the Grose Valley on many occasions, most recently in 1982 and November 2006. Backburning wreaked havoc on the Blue Gum Forest in particular. Following the devastating bushfires of 2006, the Blue Gum Forest and other valley walking trails were closed to bushwalkers to allow vegetation to recover.

Flora

Though Eucalyptus deanei dominates the woodland, other eucalyptus trees can be found. Paperbarks (Melaleuca styphelioides), assorted acacias, and the Yellow Pittosporum are among the smaller trees and shrubs (Pittosporum revolutum). The woodland floor is covered with grasses, vines, orchids (Caladenia picta), and ferns.

Fauna

The forest is home to a variety of mammal species, including common brushtail possums, greater gliders, eastern grey kangaroos, spotted-tail quolls, and rock wallabies. Birds can be found on the forest floor as well as in and above the canopy. The crimson rosella and yellow-tailed black cockatoo are among the most visible parrots.

History of Blue Gum Reserve

As explorer George Caley ascended nearby Mount Banks in 1804, he noticed Indigenous Australians’ campfires. The Darug people’s territory included the Blue Mountains. The more westerly Wiradjuri and the southern Gandangara people have also been connected to the Blue Mountains. In the Grose Valley, some of it near to the Blue Gum Forest, Aboriginal tool-making and evidence of settlement have been discovered.

The Royal Engineers constructed 70 kilometres (43 miles) of bridle track for the new railway line around 1858. This, however, was discarded in favour of the present ridgeline. The Engineers Track, as it was called, served as a landmark for walkers, fishermen, and adventurers alike. In the forest in 1859, Robert Hunt took some of the first Australian photos. In the 1860s, cattle rustler Ben Carver used the track and then purchased a lease on the land in 1875. Today, only a small portion of the Engineers Track remains.

How to Get to Blue Gum Reserve

Holey Moley Golf Club is one of the popular places in Chatswood that gets a lot of visits. The same goes for the wonderful Blue Gum Reserve which is located at Chatswood NSW 2067, Australia. It is also one of the destinations patients from White Dental Clinic, Chatswood, would go to after their dental appointment. To get there, head northwest on Anderson St toward Endeavour St., then Continue straight to stay on Anderson St. Next is to turn left onto Ashley St and then to turn right onto Pacific Hwy/A1/A38. You’ll have to continue to follow Pacific Hwy/A1. Lastly, turn left onto Shirley Rd, and you’ve arrived at Blue Gum Reserve! Getting there by car would only take 6 mins.